Recipe: Heirloom Tomato Tart in Parmesan Crust
Summer is here and what better way to celebrate than using some of the beautiful, fresh from the garden, heirloom tomatoes in this simple, delicious tart.
Heirloom Tomato Tart in Parmesan Crust
6 medium Heirloom tomatoes, sliced ¼” thick
4 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
½ C All-purpose flour
½ C Whole-wheat flour
½ C Unsalted butter, cold and cubed
2 Tbsp. Ice water
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
¼ C Fresh basil, slivered
Fresh ground black pepper and Kosher salt to taste
1. Place tomatoes in a single layer onto paper towels, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt, place additional paper towels on top. Allow tomatoes to rest for at least 15 minutes.
2. Pulse 4 oz. Parmesan cheese, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour and unsalted butter in a food processor until a grainy texture is achieved.
3. Add ice water to processor, pulse lightly and remove.
4. Working quickly, press dough into tart pan, making sure dough is evenly distributed. Place in a refrigerator and chill for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Remove crust from refrigerator, poke a few times with a fork, cover loosely with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes- remove foil and weights- bake for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle crust with 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese.
8. Wipe excess salt from tomatoes, arrange in crust.
9. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with basil and fresh ground black pepper. Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature.